15 Minute Meal: Chicken Veggie Lettuce Wraps
I remember ordering some sort of lettuce wraps at P.F. Chang’s a while ago. I am amazed by these chain restaurants, how they can pack so much fat and sodium into a simple vegetable/meat dish. I don’t mean the deep fried pork dish, but the standard chicken and veggie plate. Sounds healthy right? I’m not going to go into stats, but check them out sometime, it’s pretty bewildering and scary. While visiting China 2 years ago, I ate the local food and it was definitely no P.F. Changs. Yet, the food was just as flavorful, if not more but most importantly, it was fresh and local.
Anyways, inspired by P.F Chang’s and determined to remake their lettuce wraps, I have created the easiest recipe yet. This is definitely going into my books for quick meals when I’m strained for time. I was so impressed that I had this meal on the table in less than 15 minutes. Yes, fast healthy food is possible, forget the Chinese take out! This dish was both flavorful and filling, combing lean protein with vegetables to create a satisfying meal. It’s one of those meals where you feel so good after you’re done eating because 1. you’re truly satisfied and 2. you know all the ingredients that went into the meal-whole, natural and fresh. This dish can easily be made vegetarian by subbing the chicken with tofu. Try it out and let me know how it fares with P.F Chang’s.
Chicken Veggie Lettuce Wraps
- 6 boneless skinless lean chicken tenders, cut into cubes
- 1 red bell pepper, julienned
- 1 yellow squash, julienned
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 6 big romaine lettuce leaves
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 ginger root, minced
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 2 teaspoon black bean garlic sauce
- 1 teaspoon garlic chili paste
- 1/2 cup cooked brown rice
1. Preheat pan to medium high heat
2. Add in diced chicken, bell pepper, squash, and onion. Stir fry until chicken is no longer pink in the middle, about 6 minutes
3. Add in garlic, ginger, soy sauce, chili paste and black bean garlic sauce and stir fry for an additional 2 minutes
4. Serve lettuce leaves with a bed of rice on the bottom and the chicken/veggie mixture on top. Eat it like a taco!