What are you giving up for Lent?
Amusing conversation from last night…
Me: I think we should give up meat for lent
B: No way
Me: There are tons of vegetarian dishes I’ve made that you’ve liked
B: Like what?
B: Didn’t the corn chowder have chicken in it? and the pesto pizza had prosciutto on it?
Me: Oh yeah..
B: I’ll give it a try for 2 weeks, just don’t make any of that soy/tofu stuff
Me: Wait, we have too much meat in our fridge right now. Nevermind.
On that note..here’s a recipe for chicken tamale casserole
- 1/2 cup preshredded 4-cheese Mexican blend cheese
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- Salt & pepper
- 1 green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 can corn
- 1 can black beans
- 1/4 cup fat-free milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 (8.5-ounce) box corn muffin mix
- 1 (4-ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
- Cooking spray
- 1 (10-ounce) can red enchilada sauce
- 1.5 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
1. Preheat oven to 400°.
2. Saute bell pepper, onion, cooked shredded chicken breast in a non-stick pan. Add in corn, black beans and green chilis and season with salt, pepper, cumin and chili powder.
3. Combine eggs, milk and corn muffin mix together and add in chicken mixture. Pour mixture into a 13 x 9–inch baking dish coated with cooking spray.
3. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes or until set. Pour enchilada sauce over top. Top with cheese and bake at 400° until cheese melts. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. Cut into 8 pieces.