Skip to content

Gear check

May 8, 2012

Packing for a 100 mile race is no easy feat. Unlike a road race, there are so many scenarios I have to consider (weather change, injury, running day and night etc), and it’s always better to be over prepared.

By the way, Zion 100 is looking to be very similar to Hunger Games, without the killing of course. As if running 100 miles wasn’t enough, it’s going to be 90+ degrees AND buggy. Who knows what else they may throw at us, maybe I should learn how to climb a tree.

In my Nathan pack

GU, Honey Stinger Waffles, Honey Stinger Chomps, energy bar, Salt pills, Tylenol, ginger pills (upset stomach), tissue paper, cash (you never know), bandaid/medical tape, Chapstick, my motivational book & race plan/schedule

yum

Race day outfit
Tank top (The North Face), Shorts (Lululelon), Compression Socks (Pro Compression), White Arm warmers (Moebens), Visor, Shoes (Nike Fly +2 Trails), Gaiters (Dirty Girls), Buff, Sunglasses

Electronics
Garmin 315 XT & Garmin 305 once the 315 dies
iPod

Headlamp
Black Diamond with lots of extra batteries

In my Drop bags (6)
Extra batteries for headlamp
Garmin 305 when my 315 dies
Ice cold vitamin water and turkey sandwiches
Extra pair of shoes to change into
Medical supplies
Sunscreen
Glide
Bug spray!!
Gloves? (nighttime)
Light long sleeve (nighttime)

After the race
Compression socks
Towel
Change of clothes
Sandals
Fish oil
Protein shake

Am I forgetting anything?

Advertisements
8 Comments leave one →
  1. Thomas permalink
    May 9, 2012 6:47 am

You got yourself the new lululemon shorts!?! I would take a handheld flashlight in addition to the headlamp.

• May 9, 2012 8:33 am

Thanks will check out the flashlights today, can never have too much light at night…

2. May 9, 2012 6:49 am

Hahaha i was going to say the same thing…you got the lululemon shorts! Hrmm those chomps look familiar….

• May 9, 2012 8:35 am

heh why do you think I like to hoard stuff at races? most of these gels are free 😉

3. Aron permalink
    May 9, 2012 7:28 am

SO EXCITED for you!!! Looks like you are all ready 🙂 have you thought about bringing benadryl or something in case you get an allergic reaction to those bugs?

4. Helen Wu permalink
    May 9, 2012 8:29 am

I love the outfit – very cute! I highly recommend lithium batteries instead of alkaline. They are lighter, more powerful (e.g., burn brighter), and last many times longer. More expensive, but worth it. Also, extra socks, baby wipes (especially for your face), eye drops (once the sweat/salt/dust/etc. start running into your eyes, it only gets worse), anti-perspirant (once it wears off, underarm chafing can start up), and an emergency hand warmer. Your body can lose its ability to regulate/generate heat when exhausted. People at JJ100, SD100 often find themselves to be much, much colder than anticipated.

• May 9, 2012 8:34 am

Good call on the batteries, as powerful as this headlamp is, it runs out super quick! Will most likely have to do a battery change after 3-4 hours.